Sunday, February 24, 2013

Count Down: 5 days after today (late post)

Wednesday, February 13, 2012 - Activity Day

Today was "Activity" day, which means all 28+ students are in the classroom at one time, and I'm to have them doing an activity for 40 minutes during which they're supposed to use English. Today's activity started quite differently as if they knew what I was about to say. Today for activity, I officially said, "Goodbye," to all 29 of them.

As usual, I started talking and some of them started wiggling and not paying attention. So I stopped and waited.

"Sit down, Jacob," I said. Then I smiled at him and added, "That'll probably be the last time I say that to you." He smiled back at me, knowingly.

"I have something difficult to tell you. I am leaving Korea..." I started. Even though I had a speech somewhat written out, it didn't come out clearly like I wanted. Still, I tried. "Why?" asked Sally. "Good question," I answered. I tried to explain that even though I love Korea and hope to return some day, I have scholarship money towards education in the United States that expires soon. I told them I need to go back to school to learn how to be a better teacher, and to use the money before it expires.

Too, I told them that they were a part of my LIFE dream. For as long as I can remember, it had been my dream to live and work abroad for at least one year. They helped me in achieving my dream. Also, they changed my life! I can't articulate yet how they've changed my life but I know they have... 

After telling them this, I had them sign a Korean flag for me with their English and Korean names. Some of them even wrote short sweet messages.

After school, I went to the main branch of my bank to set up an electronic transfer to make sure it would go through. It went smoothly.

Even though I'm counting down the days, I still feel like I'm in denial about leaving so soon.

Even though I officially said, "Goodbye" to my students, and almost got teary-eyed, I'm having a hard time realizing I'm moving away so soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment