Sunday, February 24, 2013

Count Down: 2 days after today (late post)

Saturday, February 16, 2013 - Day of Farewells

Today I said, "Goodbye" to the Soul In (coffee shop) owner, the dollar store man and woman, the lady at the place where I used to buy 2 liter water bottles for 800 won, and to the acupuncture doctor, to my Korean friend (the doctor's niece), and to her mother, and to the foreign teachers.

I'm discovering that goodbyes are more necessary than I'd thought but not easy. I've never been good at them in the past. I usually brush over goodbyes, make them fast, or don't say them sincerely, or don't allow myself to be present when I'm saying the words...

When I said, "Goodbye," to the dollar store people, the woman came from behind the register and gave me a  hug and started getting teary-eyed.

The lady who sells the 800 won water surprised me by saying, "Go-ma-wa-yo" which, I believe, is the now-we're-friendly version of "thank you." How sweet!

Today I ate lunch with  my Korean friend; we had soup and rice cooked in stone pots (see picture). She gave me gifts too! Wow! I'm constantly flabbergasted by Koreans generosity, and by how unaware I've been that they have become a big part of my life.
Stone pot, soup, cutting kimchi

I have so much to pack and clean still and I'm still feeling sick but I know it will all work out because it must.

No comments:

Post a Comment