Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"So what happens now?"

"So what happens now?" It's what everyone has been asking me and I don't know the answer exactly...

Tomorrow my precious apostilled one sheet of paper (FBI background check results), that my parents' wonderful world-traveling friends FedExed to me- thank you!- should arrive.

On the twenty-sixth day of January I plan on mailing to Korea:  the apostilled FBI background check results, my notarized apostilled college diploma, two official *separately sealed* university transcripts, two letters of recommendation, a photocopy of my passport, four passport photos, one signed Medical Statement, all 24 pages of my signed employment contract (in English and Korean), and a partridge in a pear tree!

Then apparently the recruiters will submit my documents to the immigration office there. Then, 3-5 business days later the immigration office will give the recruiters my visa number which the recruiters will email to me along with the visa application.

Once I have that, I will go to the nearest Korean consulate (apparently there isn't one in Colorado; I have to go to San Francisco) for the in-person interview to get my visa.

After that, I don't know what happens. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go to San Francisco on my way to Korea, of if I'll have to fly to SF and back here to CO before I fly to Korea...

Meanwhile, I spent Monday morning and this morning volunteering in a second grade classroom at the local elementary school (where I had gone to school for 5th and 6th grade!). In order to be a volunteer I had to *pay* $16.00 to have an "FBI background check" done, a *different* background check than one I will receive tomorrow that my parents' friends got apostilled in our nation's capital. The background check for volunteering is apparently a much easier, cheaper and faster one; it cost only $16.00, took only two days and was simply a matter of filling out a quick form online, instead of the $170+ (including shipping), 6 weeks, and multiple smaller steps, offices to go to and people to call, that it took for the federal official full-blown FBI background check (required by the recruiters).

Anyway, I know this:  the winds of change are blowing REALLY strongly here; the gusts outside are literally above 60 mph! I won't miss these high winds in Korea!


No comments:

Post a Comment