Friday, December 14, 2012

Teaching - A Constant Experiment

Yes, there have been times when I've felt frustrated by the language barrier. 

Regarding my students, my frustration occurs usually when they are trying to tell me something good as opposed to bad. It's not when they've gotten hurt and I'm trying to discern the scene that led up to their injury that frustrates me the most.
 

It's the times when they are really excited because I've somehow made a connection with them or they've made a connection and they want to communicate to me what they mean. 

"Teacher! Teacher!" she cries out with a face aglow with recognition. This is when I need my patience most. 

Unfortunately, it often happens at times when there are a billion things happening around us and other students coming at me with questions or students getting off-task and it is then I have to make a call. 

Do I tell everyone to sit down and be quiet, or do I ignore everyone just to try to connect with that one student to understand what she's trying so desperately to communicate to me?... Or do I stop her, turning off the light-bulb that's just turned on in her mind...

I try out one way to see if it works. Maybe it does; maybe it doesn't. I try out something different the next time; sometimes I have success, sometimes, not.

So goes teaching; it's a constant experiment. This particular time, the moment was lost.

However, when there is success, ahhh- it's golden!

1 comment:

  1. A teacher is always trying to connect to her students even when they speak the same language. So Kudos for trying, and just maybe you are connecting more than you think despite the language barrier.

    ReplyDelete