Saturday, April 14, 2012

Language Barrier

Despite the language barrier, I was able to communicate with the corner store owner lady that I needed to buy more food-bucket (compost bin) stickers. The conversation went something like this.

me:  Stickers? (Translation:  Do you sell compost food bin stickers here?)

Shop owner:  %$#$*&^ )(*   )(* *&^ *^&*^%%$@#@ ?

me:  <I show her the one sticker I have left and point around the store as if looking for it. I then look back at her with a questioning hand and facial gesture.>

Shop owner:  &^%&*_)IUJ(*U ^%$%$#%^?  ^%^O(I UP(*^E%$WEDUYTR^dfjfq934, %$%^O }%$#@~@~*U *& Y&*&...  _)(*)(* ^%?

me:  Uh... 

She proceeded to show me *her* compost bin, and to demonstrate where to put the sticker on the bin when you put it on the street corner.

me:  Yeul.  (Translation:  I want to buy 10 [yeul] stickers.)

It took a while, but she seemed more patient this time than the last time I bought from her.

It reminded me too of a conversation I had with a friend a couple months ago about how Americans talk a lot, more than necessary. Further, I recalled another conversation about how most communication isn't verbal. These ideas have proven true for me. Yes, many times people have asked or said something to me and I have  had NO clue what they were saying. However, in the end, it didn't seem to matter. I thanked them politely, and tried to say, "I'm sorry. I don't speak Korean." So far so good...

No comments:

Post a Comment